Tuesday 2 October 2012

The Bones of the Closing Sears Store in Vancouver

On the same day that I photographed and videoed the now closed Denman Cinema, I went downtown to get images of another dying business.

I entered the Vancouver landmark Sears store from the Robson and Howe corner. I was greeted by a near empty warehouse sensation, a yard sale feel, and a view of vultures picking the bones of a fallen giant.

In some respects, it was a live art installation. An ever changing landscape of opportunity and simultaneous decay...depending on how it was seen.

Interesting ...how the mom and pop enterprise of the Denman Cinema fell victim to the times...as well as the professionally managed, well funded corporation that operated the Sears behemoth.




































The next level of Sears dying moments
A leg up

My support grope






Ho' ware




Clean out your office, you're done

Wigged out

And then ...wigged on

The Sears bowling alley

Dear life long employees....






Fat Barbie

The space race


Don't be fooled...it's a colorful plastic world


It'll cost you an arm and a leg


the next level of downsizing
My boyfriend is rich

My family is rich

I'm not one of them

I'm sleeping with her boyfriend

I'm sleeping with the accountant

Let's pretend we don't know each other

I've got a bit of a rotator cuff tear

Who is she, and where does she work?

I don't like large gatherings...this is too much

Why is everyone staring at me?

I knew your mother quite well

Don't pay attention to him...it'll only make it worse

You slept with him?

I will survive this

I walk through the valley

The rules of vodka martini's...one is not enough....two is just right...three is kinda weird....four is....Good night Irene


Your divorce was expensive???

They only really want one thing

Anger management

I'm not like the rest

Make-up malfunction

She's so tall, thin and blonde....gawd I hate her

Ice tea

She had a good head on her shoulders

Looking for flaws and weaknesses

Wishing

Yes, no...above ...below

I can't believe she said that

Engaged to her ex

Heels, thighs, buns

Close encounters of the kind we dread

Tension

Ibuprofen moment

Ooh...my ex has lost weight

Millisecond glance frozen in time

Everyone saw, everyone noticed...everyone pretended not to

I know you know

Awkward

My shoulder is killing me

So screwed

Indifferent lust

Yes, never

No, maybe

the price we all pay

Perfect weight loss gain eyes

Moment

Back to the future

Overthruster

Blessed be the time we had

Refusal of the light


















1 comment:

  1. Time stopped. The moments, the characters in this narrative paused. From what was to the next what.

    ReplyDelete